This is a theoretical course, focussed on the following topics of boiler tube failure:
- Root cause of failure and its consequent implications for actions during the outage.
- Basic failure mechanisms.
- Repair methods.
- Inspection methods.
- Recording of information.
- Guidance on when further inspection or investigation is worthwhile and when not.
- Guidance on when expert assistance should be sought.
A manual will be supplied to each course member. It contains diagnostic keys based on failure appearance and other readily available information and forms the basis of practical exercises during the course with a selection of actual failures.